Tuesday, October 20, 2020

31 Nights of Halloween: Hoxie

Hoxie (2018)
Starring: Natasha Hindmarsh and Jared Rienfeld
Director: Jared Rienfeld
Rating: Five of Ten Stars

A filmmaker (Hindmarsh) has a strange encounter on a bridge that is believed to be haunted.


I always watch films with the intention of wanting to like them--why waste time on something that's not worth the time?--but in the case of "Hoxie" I REALLY wanted to like it. It takes place on what is rumored to be a spot that's haunted in real life (click here for details) and it stars a real filmmaker (click here to visit Natasha Hindmarsh's YouTube Channel), and I think that's an incredibly clever set-up for the film.

Unfortunately, although it's very nicely filmed and it's expertly scored and is otherwise very technically competent, it's plain to see that Hindmarsh isn't just being humble when she says she belongs behind the camera and not in front of it. Her complete lack of showing ANY emotion at any point during the film sort of derails it. It also doesn't help the mystery/atmosphere that the ghost (?) she encounters (played by writer/director Jared Rienfeld) is wearing a jacket with the Columbia logo on it.

But.. take a look and let me know if I am being unfair. Maybe I went in with too high expectations, since I had ideas of what this film could be before I'd even watched it.

1 comment: