Thursday, October 19, 2023

31 Nights of Halloween: Open Casket

Open Casket (2023)
Starring: Jonathan Stephens
Director: Vincent Dormani
Rating: Seven of Ten Stars

A man unknowingly hangs a cursed painting in his home... and lives to regret it.

Jonathan Stephens in "Open Casket" (2023)

 

"Open Casket" is another excellent chiller from Vincent Domani. I could mention a few nitpicks about the film, but the good outweighs the bad so heavily that it would be unfair. The only real complaint I can make against this film is that it manages to maintain a creepy atmosphere and then turns outright horrorific at the climax... but then crashes and burns during the last few seconds. It's almost like Dormani was at a loss for how to end the film, so he went with the easiest no matter how nonsensical.

That aside, I still have to give this film the highest possible praise I can -- I want to know more. I want the backstory of the painting, why it is the way it is, and what happens with Stephens' character. Like I said above, despire my disappointment with tbhe ending, the good far outweighs the bad here.


1 comment: