Saturday, October 29, 2022

31 Nights of Halloween: The Do-Gooder

The Do-Gooder (2022)
Starring: Jennifer Buckley, Xhaania Wright, William Sibley, Azaa Sharavnyam
Director: Alexander Henderson
Rating: Seven of Ten Stars

Two teenagers (Buckley and Wright) get drawn into an increasingly mysterious situation after witnessing a menacing old man (Sibley) abusing a young woman (Sharavnvam)


I'm at the point in my life where it's not easy for filmmakers to surprise me. I've watched hundreds upon hundreds of horror films and thrillers, and it's rare that I come across a twist I haven't seen before, or even a combination of twists.

"The Do-Gooder", though, kept me guessing until the end. The various pieces of the plot were familiar, but it became increasingly evident that they were either arranged in a very unusual way, or they were not the familiar elements I took them to be. By the time the final fade took place, I was generally happy with what had just unfolded... and I even found myself hoping there would be a sequel.

The film was not without its flaws, though. Many scenes are a little underlit, I would have liked to see some three-shots here and there, and the script is a bit flabby at points, but the strong and unexpected ending makes up for whatever technical weaknesses I feel like griping about. In the final analysis, watching "The Do-Gooder" is time well spent.


1 comment: