Friday, October 12, 2012

Now it can be told...
Popcorn Press will publish my
Cthulhu Poem

While I was preparing "Shadows of Dreams: Poetry and Verse by Robert E. Howard" for publication, I got a hankering to write some poetry, which means that Howard joins Emily Dickinson and Bret Harte as one of the poets who can get me thinking in a rhyme-and-meter sort of mood.

Steve Miller in a Rhyme-and-Meter Sort of Mood (Artist's Conception)
 As long-time readers might have heard me say before, I like to have an audience for the stuff I write, so anything I think is halfway decent, I try to get in front of the public. So as I was idly typing up fragments of poems and gradually hitting upon a few nice ideas and even nicer bits of verse, my mind turned to how I was going to get some of these in front of readers.

 One of the potential outlets for my creations that came to my notice was the Lester Smith-edited "Cthulhu Haiku and Other Mythos Madness". Knowing Lester as a fun guy and an exceptionally talented poet, I thought to myself, "Well... it can't hurt to come up with something suitable and see how it goes."

Out of twelve completed Cthulhu and Lovecraft poems, I really liked three. Out of the three, there were two I thought that were good enough to send to Lester for consideration. Out of the two, one was accepted pretty much as I sent it in, and the other... well, you'll just have to wait and see when "Cthulhu Haiku and Other Mythos Madness" comes out.

.
 This is pretty exciting for me--my first published poetry since the 1980s will be appearing in one of Lester Smith's great horror-themed poetry collections! For more information on "Cthulhu Haiku and Other Mythos Madness" and how to pre-order a copy via Kickstarter, click here.

 If you yourself are in the mood to write some poems about creeping horrors and sleeping elder gods, it's not too late. In this day and age of POD and e-books, Lester is still considering submissions and will be accepting them through Midnight (your local time) on Saturday October 13. The e-book editions are scheduled to be released on October 15 (!).

No comments:

Post a Comment