Saturday, October 9, 2021

31 Nights of Halloween: The Clown 2

The Clown 2 (2021)
Starring: Katelyn Torres and Katy Ford
Director: Alex Magana
Rating: Seven of Ten Stars

A mysterious clown (Ford) pays a late-night visit to a traveler (Torres).

Katy Ford in "The Clown 2"
 
"The Clown 2" is not so much a short film as a vignette; we have a beginning, but we don't get much of a middle and there's certainly no end to speak of here. However, like the majority of the mini-chillers that writer/director Alex Magana has created it's got a perfectly paced, dream-like atmosphere, features excellent sound design, and is beautifully shot and lit, but in this case, I wanted more.

Perhaps it's because it's a sequel, but I found myself wanting to know more about Katy Ford's clown. The first installment in this series had the clown in a "monster under the bed" sort of function, but that's not the case here. Maybe it's just the writer and game designer in me, but I really want more insight into the "why" of the victims that the ghostly personage preys upon. I have appreciated the "just because" dream-logic in many of Magana's films, but what we have here is so interesting that we need more of an explanation.

Katy Ford in "The Clown 2"

A very cool feature is also the fact that the clown is female. I don't think we see very many of those in these sorts of short horror films.

Check out "The Clown 2" by clicking below. I think you'll like it. (And keep an eye out for more from Alex Magana and the lovely Katy Ford as we count down the 31 Nights of Halloween.)



(You can see the first "The Clown" installment here.)

2 comments:

  1. Good, but that voice was very Bart Simpson like to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you... now I can't NOT hear Bart Simpson. :D

    ReplyDelete